On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:02:14 -0500, Vic Norton wrote:

> My actual script looks for the pattern "m/\xa5/" in the data. If I
> make the script executable and run it from the terminal, it finds
> "A5". If I execute the script from BBEdit, either directly or "Run in
> Terminal", no "A5" is found.

Okay... I think the problem here is that BBEdit doesn't use your Environmental
variables.

You can print them with the following one liner

        perl -e 'use Data::Dumper; print Dumper (\%ENV);'

Do yourself a favor and put the above perl into a script, run it from the command line
and run it from BBEdit. If you see differences you might want to read up on the
.MacOSX/environment.plist file and how it is used.

        <http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html>

If you don't want to go through the steps mentioned in the article above, you might
want to follow the steps in the following use.perl journal entry by brian d foy.

        <http://use.perl.org/~brian_d_foy/journal/8915>

/oliver/