Currently I'm using AppleScript to work on files and then
send them out to different folders on different servers.
But I'm running into problems where users don't know that
their file is finished because the icon doesn't appear in
their folder.

Generally they should appear if you "touch" the folder (ie, change the modification date of the folder to "now" (or one approach I've heard of is to change the modification date of the folder by one second)).

There is also an API call, FNNotify, which will do this, but only on the local machine.

Enjoy,
   Peter.

--
<http://www.interarchy.com/>  <http://documentation.interarchy.com/>