It goes through all the ftp sites you have listed and tries to find
on that will allow logins.

Does anyone know how to reset the list of ftp sites?  Which ones are
most available?

Joe.

On Mar 5, 2004, at 3:04 AM, John Delacour wrote:

I've been meaning to ask this question for months but never got round to it.

Why is it that when I try to use cpan for the first time after a little while it takes an age for it to contact the sites and get going? I always have to go away and do something else and it might take 5 minutes for cpan to sart doing anything useful.

Here's a typical transcript of what happens before the long wait:

CPAN: Storable loaded ok Going to read /Users/jd/.cpan/Metadata Database was generated on Wed, 03 Mar 2004 05:50:41 GMT CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok Fetching with LWP: ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz LWP failed with code[400] message[FTP return code 000] Fetching with Net::FTP: ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz

JD