On Apr 30, 2004, at 2:30 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

My experience is that this kind of thing tends to lead to dead code or endless loops. Do I need to dig in and find the macro declaration and see if I can fix it?

warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type

In my own code, I compile with -Wall and try to chase down and eliminate all warnings. Occasionally I might use a -Wno-something to turn off a warning once I've determined that it's harmless, but I really, really prefer to fix them.

I treat other people's code differently. If I'm building something from source and it emits warnings, I'll make a mental note of that fact. Then, if it's crashy, buggy, or exhibits some other odd behavior, I might go back and see if the warnings are relevant to the problems. If the app works fine though, I don't worry about the warnings.

Those file names look familiar - are you building Perl? If so, and the self-tests pass, I definitely wouldn't worry about the warnings too much. Perl's self-tests are remarkably thorough.

sherm--