At 6:41 am +0900 7/12/05, Joel Rees wrote:

First guess is font caching, which is mostly the time to find and load glyphs. It looks like you might be also implicitly invoking the relevant parsing attribute tables, which will also take some time to find and load.

It's interesting (to me) that if I go for Korean characters rather than Burmese, there is no appreciable delay. It seems some sort of obstacle exists in the way of finding the necessary font/glyphs.

#!/usr/bin/perl
binmode STDOUT, q~:utf8~;
###for (4096..4129) {
for (44032..44066) {
  $c = chr();
  $text .= qq~$_\t$c$/~;
}
print $text;

I'll try to narrow it down by testing with various runs of characters.

JD