In article <004001c1793d$5bee62c0$425323cb@opalintel>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Murray) wrote:

> If I send a form to a script that the sends back some html, the browser
> displays that.
>
> Now, obviously it's an IP address thing. You know, you pass your IP address
> along with the form data when you click submit.
>
> What is it then that stops people pushing a html file at a known IP that is
> currently online.
>
> My endpoint is this. I want to be able to send a form to a remote script and
> then have that script call a script on my server that writes a file AND
> sends html back to the browser whose form started the whole process.
>
> I use perl.
>
> Any thoughts, leads or answers?

in it's most basic form you're talking about a sort of technical
note-passing.

user fills out html form and hits Submit
form sends input to script on local server
script on local server passes info to script on remote server, expecting
some sort of reply/result (but due to the nature of the 'net said info
may never arrive, or said server may be somehow unlocatable or otherwise
occupied and therefor this result should be also indicative of a timeout)
if original script recieves a valid result, it processes it further and
then dumps a page back to the end-user's browser.

Sometimes it just helps to write it out :)

HOW you want to accomplish this note-passing is up to you and depends a
lot on what sort of data-passing you want to do. It may also need to be
*secure* data-passing if that data is sensitive information, as things
can be packet-sniffed enroute.

just a few thoughts. :-)

Pit Bulls calculate in MegaBites.
--
Scott R. Godin            | e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Laughing Dragon Services  |    web : http://www.webdragon.net/