David> Can anyone point me to some docs relevant to multiple inheritance?

David> I have two base classes A and B, then a derived class C that
David> inherits from A and B. Pretty standard, I think:

No.  Not pretty standard.  Extremely unusual, and as you see, got you
into trouble.  You probably want "has-a" relationships here, not
"is-a".  Make C contain an object of type A and an object of type B,
then delegate calls to the appropriate object.  I think
Class::Delegate can help here.

I can't see how C "is" an A, and "is" a B, especially if they have
distinct data members.  How could C understand and apply every method
defined for an A?  What if both A and B define a "foo" method?  Which
one (or both?) should be called?

If the answer is "multiple inheritance", you probably asked the
wrong question.  Back up a step, and take a different tack.