> Well, you can try a few things.  I don't know much about embedding perl,

Neither do I... :-)

> but one idea is to look into using MULTIPLICITY, which allows multiple
> interpreter instances to occur in one program.
I need to respond to new events based on past history - multiple interpreters would
not share memory or namespace unless I did lots of coding to allow that.

> Another is to use "do
> 'config.pl'" instead of "require",

That's a good thought.  I'll try that. Is that going to load the file into the current
namespace, or a separate one?

> or before the "require" clear out %INC
> (which is what it used by perl to remember what files have been
> used/required so they are not re-loaded).

I don't know that I want to do that, as I am also using some modules, so I'd have to
rebuild %INC every time, or only manually clear out the specific entry for my config
file.