On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> I think in general UNIX-like kernels (thankfully) don't have any idea
> of timezones or DSTs, they simply operate in UTC.  All complex stuff
> (like what should be done with a US user currently sitting in their UK
> office accessing a database in Japan using an application in Australia)
> is left to the upper layers to worry about.

It would appear that VMS and Mac OS have this property too.

On the matter of DST and geography under Mac OS I did manage
to find a web page at Apple:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Carbon/text/DateTimeUtilities/Date_Time_an_nt_Utilities/index.html

That asserts that:
  "You can use the routines provided by the Date, Time,
  and Measurement Utilities to", ... "get and set the geographic location
  and time-zone information", etc.

and in Mac OS 9 the relevant headers are apparently DateTimeUtils.h and
UTCUtils.h.

I have yet to find a clear example of the geographic location or TZ
determination.  However, it would seem that if I can determine the
current localtime(), the current UTC time, the current dst setting, and
if I can accurately (meaning take DST transition into account) determine
the localtime vs. UTC time difference for some other date then I should be
able to determine the dst setting for that other date by calculating
today's UTC offset and comparing the quantities.

Peter Prymmer