On Jan 6, 2016, at 7:29 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> Can we make it easier for maintainers to add files to the mirrors? When we
> used to put files into subversion, it was easy for any maintainer to avoid
> this problem by just checking in a snapshot. While it's undesirable to go
> back to that (storing lots of binaries in our svn repo isn't a great idea),
> being able to upload a snapshot again would be welcome.
>
> It would fix this and to some extent also make it less 'necessary' for people
> to have ports fetching from source control systems (giving everyone the
> benefit of having the files mirrored and cacheable).

How would you envision this capability being provided? I wouldn't want to, for
example, just open up ftp write access to the distfiles server to anyone who
asked for it.

Would we make a web page where people can upload a distfile for a particular
port?

Would we make a new port command to submit a distfile?

I don't really want to be in the business of distributing our own files. The
purpose of the mirror is to mirror files the developers provide elsewhere.