> This typically doesn't take a lot of space, and no compiler option will
> remove the unused code in software that was meant to support different CPUs
> at runtime…

Except that you can use configure to detect what model of processor you’re
running on, and then with a -D flag eliminate all the code that is not targeted
for your CPU (via #ifdef/#ifndef).

> My approach is to run the build on only 3 of the 4 cores I have, and with
> "nice -15". Building Qt5 (without QtWebengine) takes just a bit over 2h that
> way, as long as I don't use link-time optimisation (on a 2011 MBP with an i7).

> Have you tried renicing the compilation up or the VLC instance down?

No, I didn’t. I am aware I should, but Qt5 with the QtWebEngine takes forever
to compile, I’m not sure I want the ordeal to drag on. But next time I will
(or, more probably, I will start the compilation before leaving to work).

> Check out port:afsctool, HFS compression can make a considerable difference.

I wasn’t aware of it. Thanks! It saves more than 60% with VLC. Cool.

> Why not, but I'm not planning to do anything with VLC for the time being…

Okay, won’t bother you with it then. I’ll keep it private.

Have a great day/night, depending on your exact TZ.

Vincent