Sent from my iPhone...

> On Sep 19, 2016, at 02:52, René J.V. Bertin <rjvber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Monday September 19 2016 02:08:12 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>
>>> The icon cache sits in the user's $TMPDIR, and AFAIK that directory is
>>> emptied at boot.
>>
>> No.  /tmp is emptied at boot, not /var/tmp and not /var/folders.
>
> Did that change after 10.9? I keep a Finder window open on $TMPDIR on one of
> my "Spaces", and it's always empty after logging in to a new session (which I
> only do after rebooting).

I could just be wrong.  I'll double check tomorrow.

/var/tmp definitely isn't cleared though.

>> Well, if you're able to update to 10.10+, launchd2 is much much nicer at
>> helping triage such things...
>
> At some point I guess I will... (have to...)
>
>> There are ACL settings somewhere to control that.  It's not based on uid.  I
>> don't recall what it is off the top of my head.
>
> OK, great, let me know if anything comes to mind that could help me in a
> google search.
>
>>> , and when?  Boot time? Or login, and if so, what kind of login?
>>
>> The user (background) session is created whenever the user does pretty much
>> anything (ssh, cron, sudo -u, screen sharing, etc.).
>> The gui (aqua) session is created wheneger the user logs in to the gui
>> (screen sharing, console, etc).
>>

> And the gui session is never taken down when the user logs of the gui?

It is at some point.

> Should one think of launchd as the equivalent of Linux's systemd, or does it
> also have bits of DBus?

Similar in concept I suppose but quite different in practice.

I'd take launchd over DBus and systemd any time.

>> iconservicesagent processes? 2, one in the system domain and one in my
>> user's aqua session:
>> $ ps aux | grep iconservicesagent
>> jeremy            677   0.0  0.1  2918544  19908   ??  S    Mon09AM
>> 0:08.85 /System/Library/CoreServices/iconservicesagent
>> root               92   0.0  0.0  2516172    492   ??  Ss   Mon09AM
>> 0:00.47 /System/Library/CoreServices/iconservicesagent
>>

> How large is root's icon cache? Do you have any idea why the agent is running
> for root? Because of the login manager, maybe?

It's in the system session, not root's user session.  That's the LaunchDaemon.

>> Yes.  That's a clear privacy violation.  User A could use that to determine
>> what applications User B has installed.  If there happened to be some kind
>> of image rendering exploit, User A could install an app private to them to
>> cause User B to render compromised icons.  Etc, etc, etc.
>
> And you're seriously thinking that user A couldn't figure that out otherwise,
> like from looking at the output from ps (running ps in a cron job because
> evidently no 2 users can be logged in to the gui at the same time).

ps would only tell you what is running, not what is installed.

User B should also not have their icon sets changes just because User A
downloaded some. ew app.

> Even if keeping track of who's entitled to access which bits of cached icon
> info the cache agent could prune the cache, removing everything that hasn't
> been accessed for more than a reasonably long time.

Again, I think you are seeing something anomalous.  You should investigate
before jumping to conclusions.