> On Oct 7, 2016, at 08:59, René J.V. Bertin <rjvber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Friday October 07 2016 11:43:48 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>
> [was Re: dbusmenu-qt5 build failure on 10.7 and 10.8 buildbots because of
> using libstdc++]
>
>> it might be useful to refine this mechanism to allow something like
>> "configure.compiler.cxx macports-gcc-XYZ", which would add a direct
>> library dependency on libgcc (among other things).
>
> Yep, that sounds like a good idea, but can that not be handled by the
> existing configure.cxx syntax?
>
> BTW: how risky is it to replace libc++ on newer OS X versions which do in
> fact provide them?

My advice is to not mess with the base OS.  There is a very good reason why I
force the user to use a variant and don't even give instructions on how to use
darwinup to install the libcxxabi and libcxx tarballs.

That being said, it's technically possible and they should be binary compatible.

I was actually using the newer libcxxabi and libcxx ports on Lion and Mountain
Lion for a while.  The only issue I saw was that a system process (helpd or
something like that) was crashing (I think on ML).  I didn't dig into the
issue, but it's possible it was just a bug in the daemon that was revealed by
the newer C++ runtime.  It's also quite possible there was a serious regression
in the C++ runtime.  I never got around to looking into it more closely.

> And since we're talking about runtimes: is it even possible to upgrade the
> ObjectiveC runtime, as far as that is of any interest when you don't upgrade
> the rest of the SDK using it?

It's all code and objc4 is OSS.  Go nuts
(http://opensource.apple.com/source/objc4/objc4-680/).  Make backups.  YMMV.