> On Oct 12, 2016, at 9:35 AM, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.web...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 2016-10-12, at 2:36 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A while ago we got a bug report about problems building Perl on 10.6
>> x86_64 for 10.5 i386+ppc
>>
>>   https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52290
>>
>> To what extent is (or should be) this supported?
>>

> I would not expect this to be supported at all. It never has been, to my
> knowledge.

The capability exists in MacPorts base to do this (by changing the sdk and
deployment target in macports.conf), but it may not work for some ports. The
MacPorts base functionality is supported, in that if there is a bug with it, we
should fix it. The ability to build any given port using this feature is less
well supported. You could conceivably say it's unsupported, in that I probably
wouldn't expend too much effort to make this work, since it's such a niche
feature. If the user can supply patches to make it work, of course we should
consider incorporating them.

> However, it's not necessary anyway. Perl builds fine on all systems back to
> Tiger (I added some evidence to the ticket report).

The user wished to build for 10.5 PowerPC on 10.6 Intel. The user may not have
access to a machine that can run 10.5 to do the build natively.