I guess the question is: is x11 definitely what pgplot should be linked
with? +x11 is an optional (though default) variant for pgplot (as below).
Is it necessary to use x11 for these LORENE codes to be compiled? For
example, what if they were to use +aquaterm?

pgplot @5.2.2_10 (graphics, devel)
Variants:             aquaterm, docs, dragonegg33, dragonegg34, g95, gcc44,
gcc45, gcc46, gcc47, gcc48, gcc49, gcc5, [+]gcc6, gcc7, [+]x11

or C-callable, device-independent graphics package for making simple
scientific graphs. It is intended for making
                      graphical images of publication quality with minimum
effort on the part of the user. For most applications, the program can be
device-independent, and the output can be
                      directed to the appropriate device at run time.
Homepage:             http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/pgplot/

Build Dependencies:   perl5, pkgconfig, gcc6
Library Dependencies: libpng, zlib, xorg-libX11, libgcc
Conflicts with:       miriad
Platforms:            darwin
License:              Noncommercial
Maintainers:          mcalh...@macports.org, openmaintai...@macports.org