On 2016-11-07 12:13, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> Mihai Moldovan (Ionic) pushed a commit to branch master
> in repository macports-ports.
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/ce3e478b4aa910e128b737ff7523242ec6e63536
>
> The following commit(s) were added to refs/heads/master by this push:
> new ce3e478 misc: follow up on base changes and mass-unbreak ports in
> trace mode. ce3e478 is described below
>
> commit ce3e478b4aa910e128b737ff7523242ec6e63536
> Author: Mihai Moldovan <io...@ionic.de>
> AuthorDate: Mon Nov 7 12:08:50 2016 +0100
>
> misc: follow up on base changes and mass-unbreak ports in trace mode.
> Currently, the unreleased 2.3.4/master version of base discards
> autoconf, automake and libtool from depends_build iff depends_build was
> used *before* autoreconf.cmd. This differs from the old behavior, that
> left build_depends untouched if autoreconf.cmd was used after defining
> the build dependencies. These changes should essentially only have an
> effect in trace mode or clean systems that don't yet have autoconf,
> automake and libtool installed. Ignoring maintainers for this change.
> Also, while I'm at it, drop legacy Id lines.

The original change introducing the removal of dependencies is quite old
[1,2], so it appears that the behavior in 2.3.4 is actually a
regression, that was later corrected on master [3].

While it is good to have this fixed for now, we should discuss which
behavior is deemed to be better, as Portfile authors seem to have other
expectations than the implementation on master. The usual order would be
to describe dependencies first and then the build steps, while changing
auto*.cmd requires the order to be different.

Having unused build dependencies would be more conservative than missing
build dependencies, so maybe we should just not delete the dependencies
at all?

Multiple of the affected ports just change the '.cmd' to 'autogen.sh'.
Would it make sense to have an additional use_autogensh that defaults to
this and adds dependencies on autoconf, automake, libtool?

Rainer

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/17809
[2]
https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/274207920c19911dcf2a359f2a0fdbd4088cd39d
[3] git diff release_2_3..master -- src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl
    (no idea how to get the equivalent view on GitHub)