On Monday November 07 2016 16:04:00 Brandon Allbery wrote:

>The problem with these headers is they force VC to do a lot more work to

VC?

>determine when two files are "the same". It's not just a matter of
>convenience; if you do not either hook into git's diff mechanism or be
>*extremely* careful with your file management, you will break git by
>emulating $Id$ behavior.

Erm, by simply adding the commit date in a comment?

I do realise there's a possible race condition of sorts, where you modify files
after git has determined a diff. At best you then end up with a repository that
is never without uncommitted changes. I guess I'll ask around on git's IRC
before toying with this, or I'll maintain the info manually where I see a
reason to do so.

R.