On Nov 7, 2016, at 7:02PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:

>> On Nov 7, 2016, at 10:35 AM, Sterling Smith <smit...@fusion.gat.com> wrote:

>>> I wonder if  there is a solution for that. (Something like a special
>>> button that says "send this part of the review to the mailing list".
>>> Maybe there's a way to provide some "hook" to send any reviews that
>>> are considered useful to the mailing list automatically, perhaps based
>>> on some special keywoard that we would put to reviews.)
>>
>> The GitHub solution is to create a new group, call it MacPorts-Contributors,
>> invite contributors to that list and then in a line comment use the
>> @MacPorts-Contributors tag to call attention to something.
>
> All committers are already part of a GitHub group.
>
> I don't want to have to @mention that group with every comment I make.
>
> The point of reviewing commits is so that not only the committer but also the
> entire developer population learns what our expectations are.

I didn't say MacPorts-Committers.  I assumed you already had such a group to be
able to selectively choose who to allow to commit to master.  I said
MacPorts-Contributors.  These are the people who submit pull requests, who do
not have commit privileges (but could also include committers).  Note that
using a @MacPorts-Contributors tag on a pull request would reach more people
than commenting in a trac ticket.  Note also that your desire to review all
trac changelogs to master is targeting committers not submitters, as only
committers can commit to master.

Notwithstanding my outspoken stance on the use of git and GitHub, I appreciate
what the MacPorts project is and what it takes to keep it going.  Thanks to all
of the managers, committers, maintainers, and contributors.

-Sterling