On 2017-09-27, at 6:20 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> MacPorts automatically adds a build dependency on the compiler it uses, if
> that compiler comes from MacPorts and if that dependency has not already been
> added, so having already specified the compiler whitelist you don't then also
> need to add the build dependency.

will fix, thanks

> So, now ghc requires both llvm-3.5 and llvm-4.0? Seems excessive. Could it be
> fixed to need only a single version of llvm?

ghc 7 is essentially hand-coded to generate llvm-3.5 IR code and at the moment
will not work with any other llvm version as a backend. I'm not sure if there
are plans to change this.

clang-3.5 is not available, but could possibly build ghc if it was. So on older
systems and 10.11 (which has an incompatible {clang} for some reason) you have
to install some other version of clang/llvm.

Most of these systems need the cxx11 1.1 PortGroup anyway, and clang-4.0 works
nicely on all 64 bit systems to build it 10.6+, so that seemed like the best
choice. I think we're stuck with two llvm versions and one clang on older
systems and 10.11.

No doubt there will come a day when ghc will move up to another newer llvm
version...

Ken