Hi Ken - I think that's a great idea. In "GNU Radio" land, we have such a tool
for creating out-of-tree GR modules, called "gr_modtool"; it's great for
setting up the skeleton for such OOT GR scripts. The end-user still has to fill
in many "blanks", but this tool provides the starting point. I could see
something similar for MacPorts, much as you describe. Maybe this could be added
to the GSoC wiki page? It shouldn't be too difficult to implement something
like what you propose, whether directly in 'port' or as a tool separate from
'port'. Cheers! - MLD