I play in a different playground and primarily use either master, dev or
develop branches as I run with latest codebase available.  ffmpeg, imagemagick,
opencv, clang6, openblas, etc.  These get a lot of PRs everyday.

Having to update the Portfiles manually with latest hash and date/version is
not optimal.

Why can't a script find the repo, verify hash and date automatically then
archive or if you have a GitHub account verify your SSH, and just grab the repo
without creating an archive.