1 minute summary, no gobbledygook:

When clang sees a build line, if there is no -stdlib=Something specified, it
adds -stdlib=libstdc++ on systems up to 10.8, and -stdlib=libc++ on 10.9 and
above.

If the older OS is set up to use -stdlib=libc++, then all these ports break,
and need painful manual shenanigans.

All this is rendered extinct if clang just defaults to add -stdlib=libc++ on
all systems, if there is no -stdlib specified on the build line.

The fix that is needed in clang to accomplish this miraculous feat is literally
one single character change.

<https://github.com/kencu/SnowLeopardPorts/blob/master/lang/llvm-5.0/files/9999-patch-clang-5.0-Toolchains-default-always-libcxx.diff>

Think of the tickets that might never need to be dealt with.

I would ask that we consider doing this once we default to libc++ on all
clang-based systems.

Ken