On Mar 12, 2018, at 16:42, Michael wrote:

> On 2018-03-12, at 2:33 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>

>> On Mar 12, 2018, at 16:31, Michael wrote:
>>>
>>> How about documenting the procedure to submit changes by poll requests,
>>
>> There's lots of documentation about how to submit a pull request, such as:
>>
>> https://help.github.com/articles/creating-a-pull-request/
>>
>> We also have:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#pr
>>
>>> and then verify the build bot.
>>
>> What do you mean?
>>
>>> (It may exist, but I have never seen it.)
>

> I just took a look at all of these:
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/creating-a-pull-request/
> https://help.github.com/articles/merging-a-pull-request/
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#a3.Publishchanges
>
> None of them mention the buildbot, the Tarvis system, or how to test to see
> if it actually compiled on the buildbot machine.

If you look at our list of pull requests:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pulls

You'll see each PR title has a red "X" or a green "√" next to it. That's the
indicator of whether Travis built the PR successfully or not. You can click
them for more information.

A failed Travis CI build does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with
the PR. There are many reasons why a build might fail on Travis but succeed on
our buildbot and on user systems. For example, Travis imposes a time limit for
jobs; some port builds exceed that time limit.