On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:09:11 +0100 Mojca Miklavec
<mo...@macports.org> wrote:
> On 12 March 2018 at 15:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > The python portgroup defaults to version 2.7, and in ports that
> > have python variants, I've used that version by default as well.
> >
> > I was reminded by the members of the MacPorts meeting that it has
> > been announced that python 2's end-of-life will be in 2020, which
> > is coming up.
> >
> > Should we change the default python version to 3.6 now, or soon?
>
> What does that change actually mean? Which software could
> potentially be affected?

I imagine this would mean at least that new and updated Portfiles
would specify 3.6 as their default version, and that we would update
old Portfiles that already specify that they can run on python 3.6 to
use that.

This would likely leave a large residue of Portfiles that should be
slowly examined for updates so that within a year or so, they're all
python 3 compatible.

> (At the moment we don't even ship any Python 3-compatible solution
> for wxWidgets, buildbot etc.)

Presumably we would want to fix that. It would not need to be a rush,
of course, since we still have something like two years before 2.7
becomes deprecated, but it would be reasonable to slowly and
deliberately get ourselves there rather than having to rush at the
last moment.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                pmetz...@macports.org