To be honest, I wasn't aware of this GSoC proposal until the emails started
showing up on this list recently, so I don't really understand it yet. The
entry on the wiki is vague. Could someone give some examples of the types of
announcements we're envisioning publishing via this system? We already have the
announce mailing list and the news section of the web site for publishing
announcements of general interest to the entire MacPorts community. Is this new
proposal supposed to be yet a third way to publish the same announcements, or
rather different announcements related to specific ports, for which we
currently don't offer a solution other than the "notes" variable? If the
latter, then I don't see wanting to make it visible on the web site, at least
not until we have a redesigned site with individual pages for each port.