On Apr 8, 2018, at 08:40, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2018, at 03:49, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> We need to stop investing
>> so much effort into legacy systems.
>
> True. Making current software build on ancient compliers is a waste of
> effort.
>
> Finish the plan to push all those systems to libc++, put forward a modern
> clang in portconfigure, and then forget about these older systems.
>
> Users of them who want something to work can put forward patches if they are
> reasonable.
>
> Someday spin the tickets off to a separate trac somewhere, if there is enough
> interest.
>
> Legacy systems should not slow down the progress of the current systems. A
> quick review on repology.org shows many maintainers have only 50 to 60%
> current ports.

I know you love to keep saying this. And I have no objection to moving toward
defaulting to libc++ on 10.6-10.8, as has been discussed in other threads. But
Rainer's reply here was in response to my pointing out the https tls problem,
which does not go away even when we move those systems to libc++.

Yes, I know you like to build your legacy MacPorts installs with a different
copy of curl. And yes, we have a ticket tracking that issue as well.