On 2018-04-16 22:29, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2018, at 22:09, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Rainer Müller (raimue) pushed a commit to branch vcs-fetch
>> in repository macports-base.
>>

>> https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/d28ec4564f13b59afd439ee3fbf05f9c43a76bb9
>>
>> commit d28ec4564f13b59afd439ee3fbf05f9c43a76bb9
>>
>> Author: Rainer Müller
>> AuthorDate: Thu Apr 12 16:12:06 2018 +0200
>>
>>     fetch: Always use ${prefix}/bin/git for gitfetch
>>
>>     See also 784fee88.
>>
>> ---
>>  configure                 | 41 -----------------------------------------
>>  configure.ac              |  1 -
>>  src/port1.0/portfetch.tcl | 14 ++------------
>
> Again: Why?
>
> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2018-March/037750.html

The previous code always used /usr/bin/git, even if the git port was
installed. Only old versions of macOS got to use the latest version of
git, while recent versions of macOS were stuck with /usr/bin/git.

That does not seem to be a useful default to me, therefore it made sense
to me to always use the latest version from ${prefix}/bin/git.

Is always adding the git port as a dependency too heavy?

One of the remaining points on my to-do list for this branch would be to
figure out a way to get rid of the dependency on the VCS tools if the
fetch is tarballable, as the distfile would be available from our mirrors.

Rainer