Hi,

In this case I have a feature request for Karan ...

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 18:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2019, at 11:30, Rajdeep Bharati wrote:
>
> > One thing is that when I install the new py37-buildbot, the command that I
> > get to use is `buildbot-3.7`.
> > What changes do I need to make in the port to use the command `buildbot`?
>
> As Rainer explained in https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/4489,
> the ports should not be named with the "py-" prefix and should not be in the
> primary category "python". That's for Python modules that should be made
> available in multiple Python versions so that other ports can use them.
>
> But that's not what buildbot is. Buildbot is a program that we want to use
> for its own sake, so its port name should not begin with "py-" and it should
> be in a primary category that reflects its use. Look at the existing buildbot
> port. In fact, update that port instead of creating a new one.

But just to make sure: do you want that exact same layout for all of
the dependencies of buildbot as well? (waterfall view, console view,
etc.)

> The python 1.0 portgroup adds the "-3.7" (or whatever version number) suffix
> for programs installed by Python module ports, since it assumes they will be
> provided in multiple Python versions and we don't want them to conflict. If
> the port name does not begin with "py-" the python portgroup won't do that.
> It can be overridden on a port by port basis but in this case the correct
> thing to do is to fix the name of the port.

Karan (& Renee), could we perhaps support a special flag when creating
ports, so that pypi backend could also be able to create (and later
update) "regular ports"? They use the same sources, the python
portgroup etc., they just lack the "py-" prefix and get put to a
different category.

Mojca