> Imagine that you're reactivating the last (older) version of a port to
> support 32bit, or more fashionable, the last to support Intel architecture.
> You wouldn't want that to cause its dependencies to be upgraded/activated to
> a version that dropped support for that particular architecture.

I imagine the desired solution would be to keep the final 32bit or intel
version around as a separate port with its own dependencies, as MacPorts
currently does in some cases for PPC and/or old OS's in general.

Anything else strikes me as extremely fragile. Those libraries could also be
updated by an entirely different port, which actually needs the new versions.