On May 30, 2022, at 01:01, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> ah yes, your question was arm64-specific so that led to the gcc assumption.
>
> the way the cmake PG configures cmake breaks testing on all archs and systems.

It worked for me on Catalina x86_64 but not on Big Sur arm64, and I was trying
to understand why this difference exists.

> this comes up regularly, eg
>
> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2021-September/043754.html
>
> Perhaps it might beneficially be changed.

I'm assuming that just changing the default in the cmake 1.1 portgroup could
cause problems (or at least nonreproducibility) for ports already using the
portgroup, so perhaps this change, plus any others we want to make to the cmake
portgroup, should be in a new cmake 1.2 portgroup.