sorry, I have never made a native port installation.

But given the syntax I found online:
$ port install <pkg> +<var1> -<var2>
I expect a user can install every variant

If only default variant is pre-built what is shown by:
$ port variants gtk3
?

Native gtk3 building on macOS is trivial, I made that from source following instruction on GTK web site, and I use that for packaging of my applications. Anyway this is not the macport version, it the one from gtk.org and is only source not pre-build. Is trivial but require time, and again on new version, and require a developer access to macOS on another machine dedicated to that.

Using the pre-built gtk3 from macport (and osxcross), saved me the library built time just for test of my apps, and the requirement to access macOS on every run. Then I discovered to start the app I had to install Xquartz on the real hw, and this is not a thing normal user is used to do, or is able to or want to do.

Seems to me that native Quartz variant of gtk3 work like or better than Xquartz (default) variant. At least better than gtk on Win.

Really hope you can please provide the gtk3 pre-built Quartz variant

a newby of macOS
thank you,
Valerio