I have now put up a PR [1] to address this PROJ issue. The changes I propose to
make are in summary:

- rename current `proj` to `proj5` (and update the few of its dependencies)
- collect all proj[N] ports to one Portfile `proj`
- create a new stub port `proj` which will serve as alias for the latest
version (presently proj9) and to which the others are subports of

This will hopefully lead to less repetitive code and easier maintenance. Ports
that support the latest version of PROJ can be cleaned up of the cascade of
proj[N] variants currently  common, in only adding `proj` as a dependant.

Nicklas

[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/23462