Hola -

I am having a problem with mysql tables that are created via php occasionally appearing in mysql with lower case names. I now have to solve two problems:

1) how do I restart the sever via the command line? At the moment it starts at boot via the launchctl file. If I issue:

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/ org.macports.mysql5.plist

and then the load it again with
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/ org.macports.mysql5.plist

and then try to connect to the server with the mysql5 utility, I get the error: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket.....<snip> I think, if I reboot the machine (which I can't do right now) it'll start up the right way. but how do I start it the right way from the command line?

2) To fix the case sensitivity problem, I might need to set the variable lower_case_table_names=0 in my.cnf. which I will create in / opt/local/etc/mysql5 as soon as I figure out how to restart the server... unless anyone has another suggestion.

cheers
Mike