J.D. Merrick wrote:

When installing Xcode 3.0 on Leopard, by default Unix developer support is disabled. That is, by default the command line tools (gcc, ld, etc.) are installed in /Developer without adding to the boot volume symlinks to the tools in /usr/bin or to the header files in /usr/include.

When I installed Xcode 3.0, it did install to /usr. (I think Xcode 2.5 installed into "/Xcode2.5")

Does MacPorts, including both the application itself as well as its individual ports, require those tools to be in /usr? Or, is it just necessary for the tools to be visible in one's PATH?

Yes, several paths such as /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 are currently hardcoded within base (and in ports too)

--anders