On Apr 5, 2008, at 13:06, Rainer Müller wrote:

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

Well, that is contrary to the FAQ, which explains why MacPorts uses its own libraries in most cases. libpng is not a library for which we should be making an exception to this rule.

We have a lot of dependencies like this. That's why we have this lib: thing at all. If the maintainer wants to manage this, it is ok to use it. But there is no general rule to use stuff from outside or 'overwrite' dependencies.

Then we have a lot of ports that are in violation of this guideline and should be updated. Using the "lib:" style of dependency used to be preferred. Now it is not. But since half of our ports are not maintained, many ports have not received the necessary love to change this and many other things.