On Apr 21, 2008, at 12:17 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Apr 20, 2008, at 7:25 PM, Mike McAngus wrote:

On Apr 20, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

8<---------- big snip ----------

I did not consciously install anything in /usr/local. Looking in there, I see * ClamXav directory. I could probably replace ClamXav with clamav from MacPorts if I was willing to give up the UI. * A "SourceGuard" directory which I don't recognize. All of its files have Created, Modified and Accessed dates of 9/3/03.

These are not a problem. It's only things installed "directly" in / usr/local (that is, that were compiled with --prefix=/usr/local or which install into prefix /usr/local by default) which can cause problems.

* A bin, include, lib, man and share directory. There are many files in those directories.

These are the potentially problematic files, especially the bin, include and lib directories.

OK. So how do I determine which of the 66 files in those three directories are problematic? And, how do I ensure that if I make files in those directories unavailable I won't break something else?

The include directory contains ONLY the dlfcn.h file. Its Created, Modified and Accessed dates are all 5/8/02, which I find interesting since the introduction date of the Power Mac G4 with dual 1.25MHz processors is 8/13/02 and I bought mine in Feb 2003. So, I guess there is no way to know for sure when a file was actually installed onto the disk.

Yeah, not sure what put that there. All you can be sure of is that Apple does not provide anything in /usr/local, so it's definitely third-party. MacPorts and Fink don't put anything there either.

It appears that Apple supplied an updated dlfcn.h in /usr/include. I don't know why anyone would install such an old version of the file if Apple is including an updated version.

I do wish I had a way to know when the file was installed on my Mac.

8<---------- rest deleted ----------