On Jan 18, 2009, at 17:54, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:12:45PM -0400, Jason Hirsh said:

sh: /opt/local/bin/bzip2: Bad CPU type in executable

Was this MacPorts install copied over from a different architecture (eg from
a PowerPC to Intel)?

I would have thought that a PowerPC binary on an Intel Mac would work correctly through Rosetta.

Odd though that it continued on after that as it should have failed at this
point instead of continuing.

No, unfortunately, that is a known problem that it does not error out at this point if the decompression program is faulty. We need to fix that.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16223

I have thought that it would be nice to separate extraction from decompression instead of putting them in a single phase. Besides being cleaner and fixing the above issue, it would enable us to handle formats that cannot be decompressed and extracted in a single step, such as .dmg.zip. Unfortunately, so many ports have hacked the arguments of the existing extract phase that changing it at all at this point may be problematic.