On Jan 19, 2009, at 7:04 PM, Mark <herrpoe...@hailmail.net> wrote:

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
On Jan 19, 2009, at 10:35, Mark wrote:

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Jan 19, 2009, at 00:24, Mark wrote:

Could someone help me interpret this error? I tried installing Gnome-Control-Center, and early it bombed.

I'm not sure we're seeing the first error here. MacPorts only shows you the last 40 (I think) lines of error. Try "sudo port clean nspr" and then "sudo port -d install nspr" and see what the first error is. That may tell us more.
[snip]

/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o prlink.o -c -I/opt/local/include -O2 -Wmost -fno-common -pthread -fPIC -UDEBUG -DNDEBUG=1 -DXP_UNIX=1 - DDARWIN=1 -DHAVE_BSD_FLOCK=1 -DHAVE_SOCKLEN_T=1 -DXP_MACOSX=1 - DHAVE_LCHOWN=1 -DHAVE_STRERROR=1 -DFORCE_PR_LOG -D_PR_PTHREADS - UHAVE_CVAR_BUILT_ON_SEM -D_NSPR_BUILD_ -I../../../dist/include/ nspr -I../../../pr/include -I../../../pr/include/private -I/ Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon prlink.c
In file included from /usr/include/mach/mach_types.h:80,
from /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/ Headers/IOKitLib.h:41, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ DiskArbitration.framework/Headers/DADisk.h:28, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/ Files.h:62, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/ Components.h:32, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/ CarbonCore.h:85, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/AE.framework/Headers/AE.h:20, from /System/Library/Frameworks/ CoreServices.framework/Headers/CoreServices.h:21, from /Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon/CodeFragments.h: 1,
                from prlink.c:48:
/usr/include/mach/host_info.h:70:26: error: /usr/include/mach/ machine.h: Input/output error

There's the first error. It can't open /usr/include/mach/machine.h due to an input/output error. That usually only occurs if your disk is failing! Can you open this file manually? I expect not. You should back up your data immediately, preferrably onto a second set of backup media so that you don't overwrite a previous backup, in case the disk is already gone. I'm not sure how best to test the disk, but you can try verifying the disk in Disk Utility and also check its S.M.A.R.T. status at the bottom of the Disk Utility window. A healthy disk should have the status "verified".

I am happy to report that

(a) my hard drive hasn't crashed yet, and that Disk Utility says S.M.A.R.T. status is "verified" (though I will run some tests on the drive).

(b) I found a backed-up copy of /usr/include/mach/machine.h, deleted the garbled file and replaced it with the backup. I then ran "sudo port clean nspr" followed by "sudo port -d install nspr" -- and the installation completed without any hiccups.

I'm now going to try resuming the installation of gnome-control- center. Wish me luck, and thanks for your help!

It would be a good idea to run a file system check in 'Disk Utility' and fix any problems it finds either with fsck itself or with 'Disk Doctor'.

Just cause a disk isn't failing doesn't mean there isn't file system corruption due to multiple unclean shutdowns.

-Ross