On 2009-11-30 20:28, Jasper Frumau wrote:
> Well, but who has the authority to choose the packaging format?

Whoever does the work, really.

> And how
> many base developers does Mac Ports have at its disposal at the moment?

Hard question to answer meaningfully (beyond "not a lot"), but as a
rough metric, here are the commit counts to trunk/base in the last year:

j...@macports.org       259
t...@macports.org       145
rai...@macports.org     121
b...@macports.org       79
pe...@macports.org      40
ryandes...@macports.org 34
a...@macports.org       20
s...@macports.org       13
j...@macports.org       7
wsiegr...@apple.com     6
gwhit...@macports.org   5
and...@macports.org     4
pgu...@kallisys.net     3
n...@macports.org       3
jerem...@macports.org   3
jbe...@macports.org     3
dl...@macports.org      2
si...@macports.org      1
m...@macports.org       1
mcalh...@macports.org   1
j...@apple.com          1
erid...@macports.org    1
and.dam...@macports.org 1
alaka...@macports.org   1

> These would be my next questions to keep this discussion going and
> hopefully to get this repository project of the ground..

I should note at this point that there are a lot of bits and pieces of
the functionality already around. See for example:

<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MPAB>
<http://github.com/febeling/portmill>

Note also that the images-and-archives branch created to work on
<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19458> is probably where you would want
to be working if you were to add code to download archives.

- Josh