On Apr 3, 2010, at 00:31 , Scott Haneda wrote:
If anyone can point me to a relevant thread, I would appreciate it. I am working on a port and I keep getting a "tr: Illegal byte sequence", which is no fault of MacPorts, but the answer to this may lead me down the path of an explanation.

This is an I18N error. If you're operating on binary data for some reason, you may want to force LANG=C so you don't get errors about illegal characters in the locale (in this case, it would almost certainly be UTF8 unless for some reason you're working in a CJK character set).

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allb...@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allb...@ece.cmu.edu