On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 20:11, David Herron <da...@davidherron.com> wrote:

>    mainmini:~ david$ sudo port install nodejs npm
>    sudo: unknown uid: 501
>    mainmini:~ david$ sudo port install nodejs npm
>    sudo: unknown uid: 501
>
> Obviously the error is coming from "sudo" and it didn't even get to the
> "port" command.  My /etc/passwd no longer has an entry for "david" ... there
> are a bunch of entries whose name start with _ like _timezone or _cvsmroot
> or _ftp ..etc..

OSX hasn't put actual users (as opposed to subsystem accounts) in
/etc/passwd since at least Tiger.  Instead, they go into Directory Services
(NetInfo in Tiger), and it sounds like in this case the Directory Services
daemon crashed or got stuck and you had to wait for launchd to notice and
restart it.

--
brandon s allbery                                      allber...@gmail.com