Yes I am referring to the Wiki article found here...
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler

I just can't say a lot for Clang.  I have mentioned this before.  I have
taken many suggestions.  Tried Tried and Tried some more to like Clang.

I just can't do it.

Its ugly.  It causes more problems between ports that depend on one
another, yet some are built with Clang, other built with GCC.

I am simply fed up with Clang and I don't really want to use it anymore.
Clang does't respect architecture settings, no matter which I use (i386 or
x86_64).

Case and point - Pango crashes during compile no matter which Arch I use:

*libtool: link: /usr/bin/clang  -o .libs/pango-basic-coretext.so -bundle
 .libs/basic-coretext.o   -framework Carbon -L/opt/local/lib  -O2 -arch
x86_64 -arch x86_64   -framework Carbon
-Wl,-exported_symbols_list,.libs/pango-basic-coretext-symbols.expsym*

*Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:*

*<snip unnecessary error output>*

*ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64*

*clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)*

I am just sick of running into linking errors -- either they happen now, or
they happen eventually during an upgrade.  Either way, I usually end up
getting frustrated, and wiping out my whole ports tree, and attempt to
rebuild from scratch.

In this caseā€¦I still hit that link error with Pango.

Would someone PLEASE just tell me how I can force the default compiler to
be GCC. No configure.compiler does not work, and no environment variables
CC CPP CXX do not work.  I have both set to gcc-4.2 and yet Pango still
defaults to use Clang and crashes no matter what I try.

I don't want to edit every single Portfile when I hit this issue, because
when I sync again, my changes go away.

There simply HAS to be some way of forcing Macports to use the compiler
that I want to use and not argue and not make changes whenever and just do
what I tell it to.

Is that so much to ask?  Can I please just use GCC and never EVER have to
see another Clang linking error again. PLEASE!???!

Thanks,
Jeff