What's the advantage of using a bunch of conf files, one for each virtual host,
over just putting blocks for them in httpd-vhosts.conf with corresponding
entries in /etc/hosts ?

Or does using the separate conf files mean I don't have to list each virtual
host again in /etc/hosts ?

(The "good news" about apache server is allowing so many ways to do things; the
"bad news" is the same thing!)

On Feb 28, 2013, at 9:47 AM, Mikel King <mikel.k...@olivent.com> wrote:

>       For your sanity's sake if you intend on host multiple ghosts you may
> wish to go with something more along the lines of adding this line to the end
> of your httpd.conf Include conf/sites/*.conf. Rmember to mkdir -p conf/sites
> if it does not already exist. Then you would create a separate conf file for
> each host. I usually opt for something along the lines of
> host_domain_tld.conf to make it easy to distinguish which host is in which
> file. Pretty much everything else you mentioned is standard dev practice.
>

> On Feb 27, 2013, at 8:25 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Do I correctly understand how to get virtual hosts to work with apache2 from
>> macports?
>>
>>  (1) In httpd.conf, uncomment "#Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf".
>>
>>  (2) Edit file /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf so as to set
>> the name and DocumentRoot for each VirualHost (and create the corresponding
>> folder target for each DocumentRoot).
>>
>>  (3) Edit file /etc/hosts to include each virtual host. Specifically, if all
>> the virtual hosts are going to be strictly for local use, add to /etc/hosts
>> entries of the form:
>>

>>      127.0.0.1    virtual-hot-name
>>
>> I ask this because docs I've come across for configuring macport's apache2
>> port, e.g.,
>>

>> http://muddledramblings.com/rumblings-from-the-secret-labs/lamp-server-from-scratch-with-macports/
>>
>> don't mention setp (3).

---
Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenb...@gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912