On 5/3/14 2:49 PM, Jan Stary wrote:
On May 03 12:27:18, billc_li...@greenbuilder.com wrote:
I installed a non-MacPorts package on my server the other day -
WordPress command line interface (wp-cli) which uses the "wp"
command.  It's working properly.

But I just went to do my regular updates using MacPorts, and I've
lost my "port" command.  I'm getting "command not found".
Are you sure this installation did not fuck up your PATH?
Some insane installations do.

I suspect it did. There was some manual stuff that someone else did which probably overwrote it.
How do I (a) re-establish the port command
It is most probably still there, just not in your PATH.
Can you run /opt/local/bin/port ?
Thank you.  That works.

So do I just need to run something like

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/X11/bin

Fortunately, I saved the terminal output from what the other guy did just in case, and have a parallel dev machine to refer to. This is from an echo $PATH command early in that session.

The parallel machine shows:

/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Are the repeats in that unneeded? I'm seeing several "/opt/local/bin" instances, for example.

and (b) keep the wp command?
Install this software into /usr/local (or somewhere)
and set your PATH accordingly.
Right.

So what happened is that the existing PATH to /opt/local/bin/port got wiped, I guess.

Better yet, create
a proper macport of this software,
then install it via macports.
Yeah, I checked for a port first and there isn't any yet. It's a fairly new creature.

I don't know how to create a port, and though it would be a good way to give back I don't have the bandwidth at the moment to put a lot of time into something like that.