> I'm experimenting with running a proxy server on my network, which I would
> like MacPorts to use while on that network, while not interfering with my
> ability to use MacPorts while connected to other networks. What's the best
> way to do this in an automated way? Editing macports.conf proxy settings
> every time I switch networks is cumbersome. Similarly manually setting and
> unsetting environment variables. I'm currently thinking of wrapping the
> "port" command in a shell function (which I already do) and using the IP
> address or AirPort network name to determine whether I'm on the home network
> and setting the environment variables accordingly. I'm also dimly aware of OS
> X's network locations feature, but way back when those were introduced I
> remember you had to manually select which location you wanted to use.

This is what I have on my laptop:

LOCATION=$(scselect 2>&1 | grep "^ \*" | cut -f 2)
case "$LOCATION" in
"(Home)")
        unset http_proxy
        unset FTP_PROXY
        ;;
"(Work)")
        export http_proxy="http://workproxy:3128";
        export FTP_PROXY="http://workproxy:3128";
        ;;
*)
        echo unknown location $LOCATION
        ;;
esac

There are apps that will switch locations for you automatically based on
AirPort SSID or other network characteristics. Alternatively you could
look at the output of something like 'networksetup -getairportnetwork
en1' instead of the scselect command used above .

- Josh