>>> If perl5 +perl5_16 installs version 5.22.1 for you, that certainly
>>> shouldn't have happened.
>>
>> Sorry I wasn’t clear.  I just meant that I perl5 shows this:
>> perl5 @5.22.1_0+perl5_16 (active)
>>
>> So, it is version 5.22  But, it ddid install 5_16.
>>

> The "version number" of the perl5 port means absolutely nothing because the
> perl5 port installs nothing, other than symlinks to the version of perl that
> you've requested via your variant selection. It might be clearer and help
> avoid this confusion if we changed the version number of the perl5 port to
> something that is clearly not a version number of the perl software, such as
> 1.0 or 20151216.

Thanks.  That makes sense.
I was reaching to make sense of it all, because currently the situation is I
upgraded to 10.11 so I removed all my ports, and now can’t get many of my ports
reinstalled because perl seems critical to a bunch of other ports, and was
really trying to just figure out the cause.

—Adam