James Linder wrote:

>> "In general, application bugs should be reported to the developers of the
>> app (?upstream?), not MacPorts."
>> But I think it's safe to say that no-one* is running Xfce on Darwin/XQuartz,
>> so this is Terra Incognita...
>>
>> Anyway, the bug tracker is: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/
>>
>> * the jury is still out on "why would anyone want to do that", even though
>> it "should" still be possible.
>> For most normal users, something like VirtualBSD would probably be a better
>> option. Or at least packages.
>>
>> See http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbsd.html
>
> Pierre to add to comments above
> I?m a great fan of xfce and run that on my many linux machines.
> Ideologically I hate apple, but apple make their hardware and software play
> together very nicely e.g. bluetooth at boot, e.g. nice sound from their
> crappy speakers e.g. heat from core sleep vs (hot) heat from core throttle
> e.g. the wireless on my mac mini is perfect under OS X but rather iffy under
> any linux distos that I have tried.

Running Darwin only was _always_ painful, and even X11.app isn't included with
the OS anymore...
So there are not many good options available besides running XQuartz on OS X,
for that hardware.

> After playing with xfce on the mac mini for a few days the only benefits I
> could find were having X11 all the time (subtle reasons) and xfce4-terminal.
> iTerm does a pretty equivalent job.

Actually neither Terminal nor Midori is a part of the default installation of
Xfce any longer...
You are free to set any terminal emulator or web browser in the "Preferred
Applications" setting.

http://www.xfce.org/projects
        http://www.os-cillation.de/en/open-source-projects/xfce-terminal/
        Last release (0.6.3) of this application was done two years ago.
        It needed some patches to even show up under FreeBSD and Darwin.

The main "problem" with xfce4-terminal is that it uses the old VTE library from
GNOME Terminal...
And just like GTK+ (with gtk3), that is now getting more and more
GNOME-specific in later releases:

> So I have to conclude that my mac(s) do exactly what I need, that mac ports
> is the glue that turns this into plain sailing and the xfce port is very
> interesting, but for me, what?s the point. Clementine (not mac ports) even
> plays my oggs.

These are the only components remaining in the Xfce core:
        xfwm4
        xfce4-panel
        xfdesktop
        xfce4-session
        xfce4-settings
        xfce4-appfinder
        exo
        garcon
        xfconf
        Thunar

The rest are all applications (or dependencies/plugins):
        midori
        xfce4-terminal
        mousepad
        orage
        ristretto
        squeeze

But I can't really see any reasons to run any of them stand-alone, if not
running a X11 desktop...
Theoretically you could have them running with the Quartz backend of GTK+/GDK,
and not use X at all.

Though in that case, most people would prefer a native app ?

--anders