On 10/5/16 3:28 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Mick Jordan <mick.jor...@oracle.com <mailto:mick.jor...@oracle.com>> wrote:

    I have several libraries installed via MacPorts (that also exists
    in /usr/lib FWIW), e.g, libpcre and libz. I was rather surprised
    to see that these resolve to the MacPorts location,i.e.,
    /opt/local/lib even though I am not passing -L/opt/local/lib to
    the link step. I thought this might be because I was using gcc to
    do the compilation/linking and that is also installed via
    MacPorts, but I get the same behavior when using clang. I added
    -Wl,-v to the link step and it lists the directories it is
    searching and /opt/local/lib is not included in the list. So my
    question is how is ld resolving to /opt/local/include. I have no
    environment variables such as LDFLAGS set, although /opt/local/bin
    is on my PATH.

    I'm running MacPorts 2.3.4 in El Capitan.

How is the program being built? If it uses a build framework such as autoconf or cmake, or even just pkgconfig, it will often find things itself (and sometimes there's no way to stop it from doing so).

Yes, the act of writing the email turned out to improve my understanding of what is happening but, unfortunately, not before I hot the send button. The libraries in question were actually compiled by another framework where /opt/local/lib was being passed.

Thanks
Mick