[Cc’ing Macports Users this time]

> On Oct 7, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 7, 2016, at 8:35 AM, m...@macports.org wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ryan,
>>

>> Thank you for the reply. So I think that you did not see my other post. I
>> wonder why the mailing list did not send it? Maybe because I had modified
>> the subject title? Here it is again:
>
> You're right, I didn't see that message.
>

>> OK, the solution was actually very simple. I added the httpd application to
>> the Firewall. It is located here:
>>
>> /opt/local/apache2/bin/httpd
>>
>> This survived a reboot for me.
>>
>> Steps to add it (sorry if this is obvious):
>> 1. Starting from the Terminal type:
>>    - cd /opt/local/apache2/bin/
>>    - open .
>> 2. Open System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Firewall tab.
>> 3. Click the lock to unlock it.
>> 4. Click Firewall Options…
>> 5. Click +
>> 6. In Finder, drag “httpd” (now visible in Finder from Step 1) to the
>> dialog.
>>
>> <apache firewall.png>
>
> I'm familiar with this procedure; I've read it on many web sites. But it
> often simply does not work. Despite the program having been added to the
> firewall options in this manner, communication remains blocked. I was only
> able to get it to work by using a terminal command to add it to the firewall,
> and I don't recall whether that turned out to be a permanent solution or not;
> I have a feeling it either did not survive reboot or did not survive updating
> the port that provided that binary.

OK. I played around with this some more and did a bunch of rebooting. The
problem is that apache2 itself does not survive the reboot! I tested this by
looking at “httpd” in activity monitor. So the firewall rule is correct. But we
have another issue that the startupitem for Apache2 is not properly working in
El Capitan (at least).

I use the port load command like so:

 - sudo port load apache2
 - httpd is present and running in Activity Monitor
 - Reboot
 - httpd is gone!

-Frank