On 28 October 2016 at 06:23, Tom Gederberg <tgederb...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am sorry if this is a silly question, but I am trying to install gnuplot
> (I am running Mac OS Sierra, recently updated and performed the MacPorts
> migration) and am getting the error shown below.  Aquaterm is needing to be
> installed and that seem to be where it is hanging up.
>
> Error: org.macports.activate for port aquaterm returned: Image error:
> /Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app/Contents/Info.plist already exists and
> does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port aquaterm. Use
> 'port -f activate aquaterm' to force the activation.

This looks like a local problem on your machines. Some files exist
that shouldn't be there. Try to run
    sudo rm -rf /Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app/
and then try to install/activate aquaterm again. Alternatively do
    sudo port -f activate aquaterm
as suggested.

How did you uninstall MacPorts during migration? Just "sudo rm -rf
/opt/local"? Or did you actually do "sudo port deactivate active" or
"sudo port uninstall active"? If you just removed the contents of
"/opt/local" without uninstalling or deactivating old ports, you might
run into the same problem with other ports that install files outside
of $prefix.

In that case I would suggest you to run "sudo port deactivate active",
then "rm -rf /Applications/MacPorts" and potentially clean up a few
more places (I have no clue which ones). You might have to force
install other ports if you didn't properly uninstall the ports from
earlier.

Mojca